- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a small saucepan, heat pumpkin, spices and salt over low heat. The pour into another bowl to cool to room temperature. [This step is optional, but I think it makes the canned pumpkin taste closer to fresh pureed pumpkin.]
- Whisk all ingredients except piecrust together in a medium bowl until combined. Make sure there are no streaks of egg white because those will show up in the final product!
- Pour into crust and bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking 35 to 40 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted 1 inch from the center comes out clean. If you don’t want to poke your pie, which will cause it to crack as it cools, you can jiggle it. It is done when only the center (1 inch diameter) jiggles. The pumpkin pie will set perfectly if allowed to cool completely prior to cutting.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container or covered with foil. It will also keep for several days at room temperature if you prefer.