- Prepare half of your grill with a medium-high flame and the other half with a medium flame.
- Cut off the top of the pineapple and use a sharp knife to remove the skin. Slice half of the fruit into ½- to 1-inch rings, leaving the core intact, and set them aside. Peel and cut the onion in half and reserve one half. 3 Purée the whole pineapple half and onion
- Purée the whole pineapple half and onion half in a blender or food processor with the garlic, vinegar, chili powder, and cumin. Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl or Ziplock bag and pour this mixture over them, ensuring they’re evenly coated. Marinate for 20 to 30 minutes. Note: don’t over-marinate the chicken as the acids in the pineapple can give it a weird texture if it marinates for too long.
- Meanwhile, coat the reserved pineapple rings with the vegetable oil and grill them over medium-high heat until both sides are charred, about 5 to 7 minutes per side. Once it’s done, remove it from the heat and finely chop and add to a large mixing bowl. Finely chop the reserved onion and cilantro and add to the bowl with the pineapple, then combine with the lime juice and salt, and set aside.
- Pull the chicken out of the marinade and shake off any excess. Grill it over medium heat, covered, until the marinade is caramelized with a bit of charring, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and let rest for just a couple of minutes before serving with the grilled pineapple salsa.