1 hour, 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat cup butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, in a small bowl combine raisins and enough boiling water to cover. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain raisins and pat dry, then place in a large bowl. Add apples, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and almonds; toss to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble the strudel, working quickly, place 1 sheet of phyllo on a 12x15-inch sheet of parchment paper; brush phyllo with a small amount of melted butter. Top with another phyllo sheet; brush with a small amount of melted butter. Repeat to make 5 layers. Sprinkle with cup of the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half the filling down one long side of the layered phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the short ends of phyllo over filling, then firmly roll the long sides to form a log. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling to make a second strudel.
- Using parchment paper, carefully transfer logs, seam side down, onto a baking sheet. Brush logs with remaining butter, then sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 50 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into slices, and serve warm.
View all nutritional information
Calories 383, Calories Fat , Total Fat 26g, Saturated Fat , Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 190mg, Carbohydrate 37g, Protein 4g
|Total Fat (extra)||40|