Recipe thanks to our partnership with Fox 17
- Warm both sides of the tortillas on a hot griddle or over the open flame. Keep warmed in the oven if eating right away.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until cooked through. Transfer with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with salt. Mix in scallions and bell pepper.
- Discard the sausage grease leaving 1 teaspoon then add the eggs, let them set on the bottom then stir a few times to cook through, set aside.
- On a clean work surface, divide a generous 1/2 cup of the egg mixture onto the bottom third of the tortilla. Top each with a spoonful of sausage and 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll from the bottom, folding the left and right corners in toward the center and continue and roll into a tight cylinder. Set aside, seam-side down, and repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- If eating right away, heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, spray the skillet with oil and add the burritos, seam side down. Cook, covered, until the bottom of the burritos are golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Serve with hot sauce or salsa, if desired.
- How to freeze burritos for meal prep: Place the foil on a work surface vertically, place the rolled burrito in the center bottom third, roll partially, folding the sides of the foil over the burrito, then roll it up. Transfer to a freezer bag to prevent freezer burn (you can reuse the bags). Use a sharpie to label it with the name and date. (also helpful to write down cook time and temp).
- How to heat frozen burritos: To reheat direct from freezer to microwave (Least favorite results): Remove the burrito from the foil and place on a microwave safe dish, cover with a paper towel microwave 1 minute. Turn then cook an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes before eating. (optional, brown on a skillet 2 minutes on each side to toast, or broil 2 to 3 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 4 to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.