- The amount of vegetables listed in the ingredients are estimated based on the size pan used. Cut up enough of the vegetables to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Put the brisket on top of the vegetables fat side up. Season with garlic powder and ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle one packet of onion soup mix. For a thicker gravy add a small can of tomato sauce on top, if desired.
- Pour water into the pan almost to the top of the meat and cover with foil, shinny side down. Cook in the oven at 350°F.
- After about two hours take a fork and stick it into the meat. If the fork goes in easily remove brisket from the oven and cut, returning the beef to the pan.
- Puree the vegetables and pour over the meat. Cook again for another hour. It may take 3 hours for the meat to be tender enough to be cut but don’t let it get too tender because then it will fall apart.
- Remaining liquid can be used as a gravy for the meat and other dishes at your meal. Serve