- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy and smooth, then beat in egg as well as the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Combine baking powder and flour in a separate bowl.
- Mixing a little bit at a time, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Mix ingredients until dough forms. The dough will be stiff, so turn the dough out onto a countertop surface if it is too stiff for your mixer. Finish kneading either with the mixer or with wet hands.
- Optional: Chill the dough in a fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Divide dough into workable batches. Roll to a 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Bake cookies at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack.
- Add desired icing and decorations. Enjoy!
If dough is too hard to roll out after chilling, let it sit on counter for a few minutes until it is workable but still stiff. Recipe makes 3 dozen cookies.