Nelson Townsend's recipe takes classic tuna salad and kicks up the flavor and heat! Vote for his recipe to help Salvation Army of Omaha win the Perfect Picnic Challenge!
- For tuna salad, combine drained tuna, mayo, sriracha and cilantro in a medium bowl. Chill until needed.
- For onion jam, place butter into a deep nonstick skillet. Preheat over a medium flame until butter foams. Add diced onion, and season with salt and pepper. When onions are translucent, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are a deep golden color and very soft. Deglaze pan with rice wine vinegar, cook for 1 minute. Transfer onions to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- To build sandwiches, open hoagie rolls. Place leaf of lettuce onto the bottom of each bun. Spread onion jam on the top of each bun. Top lettuce with tuna salad, divided evenly. Close sandwiches, and cut in half if desired.
- For Wasabi Deviled Egg, combine eggs, mayo, wasabi and rice vinegar in the bowl of a food processer. Pulse until mixture is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in scallions, and transfer to bowl for serving. Serve with sliced cucumber and sugar snap peas.
- For Strawberry Orange Spritzer, fill a beverage dispenser halfway with ice. Add crushed strawberries and lemons, squeezing the lemon slices a bit over the ice. Top with orange soda and serve.
- Vote for Nelson's Recipe at http://familyfareperfectpicnic.hscampaigns.com/