- Vote for Samantha's Recipe at http://familyfareperfectpicnic.hscampaigns.com/
- For the creamy olive tapenade, add jarred tapenade and mayonnaise to a small bowl. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- For balsamic reduction, place balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce heat to low. Allow the liquid to reduce until a nearly syrup-like consistency is achieved. Cool and reserve.
- Preheat a grill to medium to medium-high heat. On a large sheet tray, toss the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and red bell pepper with the ¼ cup oil, salt and black pepper until coated thoroughly. Grill the vegetables at a 45 degree angle. Cook the vegetables on both sides -- in intervals if necessary -- until cooked through, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove vegetables onto a platter and set aside.
- Brush your ciabatta or baguette rolls with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and place onto the grill. Toast until lightly charred. Remove to a platter and set aside.
- To assemble, take the bottom half of your grilled bread and spread 2 tablespoons of the creamy olive tapenade onto the bread. Place 2 slices each of eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash and 1 slice of the red bell pepper on top of the bread. Add 2 basil leaves, 2 slices of mozzarella and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction. Place the top half of the bread on the sandwich, cut in half and serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve cold.
- For the Herbaceous Fruit Salad toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl until combined, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For Pineapple Cooler Beverage, place the frozen pineapple juice and 2 cups of water into a 2-quart pitcher and set aside. Combine sugar, chopped mint, ginger, lime zest and one cup of water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring regularly over medium-high heat. After sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool until room temperature. Strain and add syrup to the pineapple mixture. Mix well and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight. When ready to serve, add the lime juice and club soda. Add more lime juice to balance sweetness, if desired. Serve garnished with fresh mint over ice.