Making Halloween Fun For All!
Candy is not an option for all children due to food allergies or other medical reasons, making Halloween a difficult time for many families.
VG's Grocery is proud to support The Teal Pumpkin Project. The aim is to raise awareness and to encourage non-food options for trick or treaters this Halloween.
Join us in creating a safer, happier Halloween for all! Getting involved is as easy as 1-2-3!!
The Teal Pumpkin
Place a teal pumpkin outside your door to identify that your home or office is allergy friendly. You can paint a pumpkin teal or print this sign for your door!
Have non-food treats available such as pencils, stickers, bouncy balls, slap brackets, and other Halloween themed party favors. These items can be purchased at local dollar stores or online! Non-food treats may even cost less than candy! You can also have healthy allergen-friendly treats on hand such as individual boxes of Our Family raisins or fresh clementines from VG's Grocery
Another idea is to tape pieces of paper written with Halloween jokes on to small bottles of water for kids to enjoy! Here is one of our favorite Halloween jokes for kids:
Q: Why Was There Not Any Food Left After The Monster Party?
A: Because Everyone Was A Goblin!
Spread the word about the Teal Pumpkin Project and make a child’s day! Share images of your healthy Halloween on social media with #tealpumpkinproject1630
VG's Grocery is proud to support the Teal Pumpkin Project®! If your local store is hosting a trick-or-treat event, there will be non-food prizes available.
Try This Fun, Allergen-Friendly Pumpkin Bar Recipe That Everyone Is Sure To Love!
For the Crust:
- 1 box Enjoy Life Crunchy Sugar Crisp Cookies
- ¼ t ground cinnamon
- ¼ C confectioners sugar, sifted
- 4 T sunflower oil
- ½ C Enjoy Life Cinnamon Crunch Granola, optional
For the Pumpkin Filling:
- 2 C pumpkin puree
- ¾ C maple syrup
- 1 ½ C water
- ¼ C + 3 T potato starch
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- ½ t ground ginger
- ¼ t ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a glass 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- To prepare crust, place the Enjoy Life Foods Crunchy Sugar Crisp Cookies and ground cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Pour into a bowl and mix in the confectioners' sugar. Then drizzle in the sunflower oil and mix with a fork, until everything is coated with the oil and mixed together. Press into the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 24 minutes at 350. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all the pumpkin filling ingredients in a medium saucepan until combined. Place over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Pour over prepared cookie crust, spreading with a spatula until smooth. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- Remove from oven, cool at least 2 hours. Cut into squares and top each with a spoonful of the Enjoy Life Foods Cinnamon Crunch Granola.
This medical and/or nutritional information is not intended to be a substitute for individual advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.